Progress has been annoyingly slow on the Halloween costume over the last few days. Mainly because I’m waiting for stuff to turn up in the post, but also because a lot of it isn’t a quick build. For those of you that missed the first Halloween post you can find it here. I’m trying to recreate some of the concept art for the Splicers in Bioshock 2. I know I won’t be able to make a lot of the detail, but it’s the feeling of it I’m aiming for. Part of that feel is getting the silhouette right. And part of that silhouette is the Elephant Gun.
The creators of Bioshock decided they didn’t really need a super long range rifle like you find in a lot of First Person Shooters (as the environments don’t really allow you the space to ever need a super long range shot) so the Elephant gun was their answer. It fits with the time period and gives you a medium to long range rifle in the game. But how the hell should I go about recreating it?
Luckily I managed to get hold of a couple of ‘sort of rifle shaped’ bits of MDF from work. At some point in the dim and distant past they were used in an education session, but no one could remember what or why any more so I was allowed to take them home. As they were a little too thin (only half an inch thick) the first thing to do was glue and clamp them together. I knew the overall shape wasn’t quite right, but there was enough there to start with.
Anyway, once they were together it then came to making them look the right shape. The first thing that went was the barrel. It was square and even my rudimentary knowledge of firearms told me that this was wrong. Then there was the godawful trigger guard which came off fairly quickly. And finally there was the stock. It shouldn’t be all in a straight line with the barrel like that. It needed angling down and then shaping a bit. And then reattaching…
A lot to do in other words.
So I started off by cutting the barrel, trigger guard and stock off. The stock was cut on a curve so I could just rotate it and reattach it at a lower angle, but everything else was thrown away. A piece of 3/4 inch copper pipe was cut to length for the barrel and the foregrip part of the wooden furniture and the stock were shaped a bit more. Before anything was attached to anything else it ended up looking like this.
I promise it is mostly the same bits of MDF I started with.
Anyway, then the stock was glued and screwed to the main body of the gun and I’ve since attached plates and a rear sight to the back end of the gun using plasticard, a copious amount of glue and some teeny screws (just to make sure). I figured I can then add detail fairly easy to the plastic if I get time.
My main problem now is working out how to attach the barrel, but for the time being I’m reasonably happy with it. And it looks like this.
The different variants of Elephant Gun that the designers went through include a fairly basic (it even lacks a trigger guard) version, so that’s the most likely iteration. I do get the impression that once I get it all together and painted I might not want to walk around in public with it as it’s starting to look pretty good (it only needs to look good in the dark remember).
More progress soon. I hope.